Saturday 2 August 2014

Australia Part 2 - Cairns

SO after my hectic first week in Sydney I headed north of Australia. Kaitlyn, Mikaela and I found ourselves in Cairns. It was so surreal hopping onto a little plane after being on one of the big planes to Australia that as a child I would always stare at out the airport window..typical small child with face squished against the window rigmarole.

Anyway it was a fantastic feeling the proper Australian heat that hit us as we got off the plane (it had rained in Sydney for some of the first week, we went in September). We stayed in a place called Gilligans which is known for it's party atmosphere. I must say it was quite a relief seeing these rooms compared to the prison like hostel I was in during my stay in Sydney (it took a while for me to get used to the shared bathrooms per floor!!).




Cairns really is very pretty and quaint, kind of had that 'real Australia' feel to it! I met a girl called Sarah who was in my room and she showed me around the place, the bars, the man made lagoon (apparently you aren't allowed in the water in Cairns due to the crocodiles!), the shopping centre and the cutest night markets.

From Cairns I also went on the Great Barrier Reef trip which was honestly one of my favourite things I did out there. We went with a company called 'Reef Experience' the crew were super nice and made sure everyone was happy with everything. If anyone is looking at doing their barrier reef trip I highly recommend this company.




(where Nemo touched the butt?!?)



I wanted to make the most out of all the amazing places Australia has to offer so I also went up to Cape Tribulation on a Rainforest Tour. We went on a hike through a rainforest, saw a cassowary ( for those of you who don't know of these look them up - they are these HUGE Australian birds super scary), visited a Zoo in Port Douglas, went on a crocodile cruise and then visited Cape Tribulation beach where Captain Cook's boat got stuck we could even see where his look out point was! I stayed in a jungle village over night which had a rainforest walk straight onto Cape Tribulation beach - amazing!









I didn't stay in Cairns for too long as I was eager to continue with my travels, but this time I was to set off on my own..

No comments:

Post a Comment